Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New Experiences in DC

I'll start out by thanking my good friends Mike and Christine Schelble for reminding me of my deep felt hatred for slow pitch, co-ed softball. I'd been considering joining the teams of a couple of friends back home since I haven't played in awhile, but after watching their game tonight, no chance. Visited three new museums today, The Holocaust Memorial, The National Museum of the American Indian and The Hirshhorn. The Holocaust Memorial was incredible. For the most part, I wasn't as moved as I thought I would be, because I've done a lot of research on Nazi Germany and WWII. I've seen most of the images that were in the Memorial, but the films and images of the children and young people that were killed still make my stomach completely turn. On a lighter note, the American Indian Museum was a little disappointing because of a lack of information tied to the exhibits. The Hirsshorn would have been wasted on me except for two exhibits, one was a retrospective on the movie, "Dog Day Afternoon" that used the actual person who committed the actual bank robbery to show what actually happened back in 1972. The coolest exhibit showed a long running video loop called "How Things Go". I don't remember the artist's name, but it was a long video loop that showed a wildly souped up version of the mousetrap game that seemed to go on forever.

Here's my question for the day: Are all of us mid-westerners completely ignorant jackasses? I found myself continually thanking a god I don't believe in for my iPod so I didn't have to listen to self absorbed morons tell their families and friends completely false bullshit about the Holocaust. Show some respect, dumbasses, and learn something about history. Or at least shut up and appreciate the pure hell another human being has suffered without comparing their experience to that time when you were hungry for the PB&J you only had to get from the fridge!

No comments: